Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Members Column Day: On Loyalty

Dear FakeMike, what is the difference between loyalty to CGI and strict obedience. - Anonymous from Montreal

Dear Chicken, you're asking me a tough question, I think I'll go hit a few balls to reflect on this one. But Serge hates it when I swing my club in the hallway, something about balls hitting customers visiting our office. If I see someone from Desjardins, I'll make sure I use my Big Bertha. Anyway.

Loyalty by definition is faithfulness or a devotion to a person, country, group, or cause. In other words and in perspective of a publicly-traded company, your must have faith that the company is doing the best for its shareholders. And to have faith means not asking too many questions.

Faith means ignoring harsh criticisms you might read on Glassdoor.com. Faith also means to accept mystery, and let me expand on that. We don't disclose some stuff to members for their own good, we release good news only and internal debate is not something we think is a productive use of time. Debating is like noise on the line, it removes clarity.

Let me take a cue from the Roman Catholic religion. When you look at the way Jesus managed his group of apostles, you'll learn several good lessons in management. It was a top down approach, he did not delegate healing power or important stuff. He did not ask John or Peter to argue over the role of the Holy Ghost. Judas tried to work as an independent contractor and look where this decision led him.

One might say that Jesus might have benefited from profitable growth, raising money to buy competing religions would have leveled the field and minimized quarterly loss of faithful due to religion wars. I can imagine the turnover rate was higher in the 2nd and 3rd century A.D.

Back to your question, obedience is just a quality that fits into a global loyalty framework. Never say no to your boss, always smile when something stupid comes your way. Follow orders like a good soldier. An IT consultant is just a nice name for a digital butler, serving its master and getting fulfillment from work well done.

And now get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment