Thursday, September 8, 2011

Listening to music at work

There are a lot of things I don't understand in this world, one of which is the desire for IT workers to listen to music while doing their tasks.

How can you work efficiently and contribute to profitable growth while performing two parallel tasks that are in no relation to one another? How come listening to some drug-addict guitarist helps you develop better Web applications? To me, this is just baloney, IT workers are just looking for a way to fake work because you can't perform while listening to weird lyrics that don't make sense.

I talked about this with Natalie my assistant who seem more in-tune with that youths are doing than myself.

I said to her, how would you react if I was to bring my Slim Whitman LPs at work and I would listen to his yodelling while thinking about the best strategy to improve our upcoming quarterly earnings?

Nathalie had a blank look on her face, Slim who?

Never mind, I said.

Truth is, music is a distraction that keeps on demanding, listening to music at work is a sure sign you're not focused and you don't give a shiitake about what the client expects from you.

I asked Natalie for the name of an artist who is "hip" nowadays with youths, she advised me to look for a certain Justin Bieber. Who the fuck is Justin Bieber, I replied.

Natalie answered, that's what Ozzie asked, that's funny.

I go, Ozzie who?

Anyway, I googled some lyrics about this supposedly cool artist, just in case there might be a nugget of wisdom in the crap he sings. Here's what I found:

You see I never thought that I could walk through fire
I never thought that I could take a burn
I never had the strength to take it higher
Until I reach the point of no return

How unimpressive. This youth claims he's basically fireproof, why might be a strong asset if you send your resume to the city fire department.. But then, they may take you up to the challenge and let you nap in the furnace. If you look closely, you'll notice that this was written in the past tense, suggesting that the prepubescent douche bag was inflicted with severe burns afterward. Sadly enough, he was not wounded enough and he was able to record a song.

Painful, this is just painful.

What are you listening to at work? And mostly,. why do you listen to music?

No comments:

Post a Comment