Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The reverse butterfly effect


During my talks at the '09 annual tour, I had the opportunity of interrogating many CGI members about their relationship with our company. Nothing beats some face to face talk to spot some devious psychological profiles.

From those fascinating conversations I was able to extrapolate a new management concept that I called the "reverse butterfly effect". The standard butterfly effect is of course a metaphor where a very small difference (let's say, you) can produce a large effect on something (let's say, a 26,000 company). Of course this is a total delusion, such things only happen on the silver screen.

The reverse butterfly effect works like this: A very large event or variation does not have any effect on the smallest unit of a system. Sounds intriguing? Follow me.

CGI just announced a $395 million contract with the U.S. government. That's a news of galactic proportions, even the most simple-minded Wall Street retard can understand this. Serge and I were high fiving each other yesterday, I was almost dancing on my desk (but I didn't).

What's the effect of this news on a CGI member down the line? Zero. Bar none. How's that possible? Because the powerful significant event is distributed through some many gears and processes that in the end, it does not affect the typical employee. If a star explodes in a supernova on the other side of the galaxy, you and I will maybe get a few gamma rays but that's it, it won't change anything right?

It is therefore why the following conversation is very typical between a CGI member and a relative:

Relative: Son, I just read in the newspaper that CGI signed a huge contract with the government, I don't recall the number, many millions. You must be proud to work there.

You: Kinda.

Relative: Will you be working on that contract?

You: No. It's not my business unit that got the contract, it has nothing to do with me. Anyway, CGI tagged me on this blackhole project for 5 years, there's no possible parole.

Relative: You're a bright young man, I'm sure CGI will pick the best resources to work on this contract, I'm sure you'll get a call even if it's not your BU that got the contract.

You: Dad, CGI doesn't work like this.

Relative: You must be proud to work for Michael Roach.

You: Mike who?


No comments:

Post a Comment