Friday, December 10, 2010

Member's Column Day: More Rants

CGI is the only company I worked for where I actually lost benefits and money with time. Every quarter we loose something. We lost internet at home, our week went from 37.5 to 40 hours, that a 6.6% drop. Then we lost all the overtime, we still work on call at night but its not paid anymore. All the while you are bombarded by emails asking you to give to centraide and shit so CGI looks good. CGI was good 10 years ago, now its full of blood sucking pencil pushers. Forget about working your way through the ranks, new employees hired externally make more than the ones promoted from within. The only good thing is CGI looks good on a resume, like McDonald's. The yearly evaluation is a joke, they drown you in paperwork until you give up. Do your time and always keep an eye out for a better job. CGI does not care for its employees at all.

Dear member from Montreal, your plea comes at a time when I believe I should have been much more demanding from you guys in the past. I think I had a wake up call about 18 months ago when I was going through a large stack of expense reports. Instead of thinking CGI was paying for your expenses, I imagined for a few minutes that everything was coming out of my own wallet, not the company account.

I freaked out.

I'm paying for you to be at home drinking beer, watching football and banging your significant other? Being on call does not mean you ACTUALLY work. If you get a call in the middle of the night because the fucking server is down, this is probably your fault in the first place. You should have double checked everything, because when you do the phone does not ring at 2 am. It's called peace of mind, buddy.

I'm paying for your Internet AT HOME so you can download music and movies illegally? Or chat with your friends and entertain discussions that are not in line with the company objectives?

I'm paying for YOUR overtime when MINE is not paid? C'mon!

I had to breathe in paper bag for a few minutes to calm down.

I then realized this company was WAY too generous toward its members, and although membership has its privileges, the financial situation dictated that I take strong actions in the next year to improve our bottom line. We raised the workweek across the board and that had a direct positive impact on your quarterly filings.

The thing is, you ain't see nothing yet. 2011 will be hell. I feel like a Charles Bronson character, except I'm a financial vigilante looking for balance sheet justice, out to shoot unnecessary expenses.

I'm going out for some ice cream, make sure your expense report is in order before submitting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment