Thursday, June 17, 2010

Members Column Day: More Facebook Rants

My post on Facebook brought some interesting e-mails, one of which deserves a spot here.

FakeMike, your recent post on Facebook is a bit harsh, maybe it's time that corporations such CGI embrace Twitter, Facebook, wikis and other modern communication tools. If we were living in 1960, you'd probably bitch about electric typewriters. Don't be such a stiff. Corporations need to update themselves with the latest technology in order to survive. Michel from Saguenay.

First, let me clarify my thoughts on what people call "social networks". It serves to real purpose as far as I can tell. Catching up with friends should be done by expressing more than 140 characters, unless you're a soldier ambushed in a muddy trench with a Panzer about to roll over you, in which case short messages are acceptable. Our media relation people have set up a Twitter account recently because journalists apparently requested this, I don't know the extent to which they use this, but judging from the popularity of the CGI Facebook page the Twitter wire must be very quiet. Jee, one more person joined our Facebook page since yesterday, this is heavy traffic.

I'm investigating cases where CGI employees posts irrelevant thoughts on Facebook during daytime, what they had for lunch, what sock color they picked they dressed, how many Q-tips they use on a weekly basis, but most often what is their boredom level. This is highly strange, life in IT should be as exciting as surfing a giant wave in Hawaii, I don't understand how people get bored. Complaining about your boredom won't take it away, you know, maybe boredom is just a signal that you should spot opportunities for the company and transform them into profitable growth.

Let me tell you a story. When I was a younger man, I was distributing newspapers door to door in my native Pembroke. Winters were colder than in Vladivostok, summers were muggy and fly-infested, and I used the same pair of shoes from age 12 to 18. Whenever there was a hole in them, I would patch them with tar and old newspapers. To help me in my run, I had a 1-speed bicycle whose paint was completely sunburned. I got bitten by dogs a few times, not the puddle kind mind you. When my run was done, I would borrow a copy of the Globe&Mail and I would scan the business section for stocks at attractive price. Simply put, I earned my money the hard way and never complained. Look at where I stand today.

Today, a young man distributing newspapers will take 2 dozen pictures on his cell phone during his morning run and post them to Facebook, only to complain about such and such. He'll wear brand new $240 sneakers and use the most expensive iPod available. His idea of investing is buying the latest Xbox 360 because it displays gory graphics much faster. He'll whine and whine and whine about his parents decision NOT to buy him a new car at age 16. Where do you think this lazy bum will be 25 years from now? If I had to take a bet, I'd say he'll be a unionized janitor addicted to Ritalin.

This is my issue with all this newer technology. It's not used to the right end. It's not used to make you smarter, it's actually being used to make use more dumb and irresponsible. If you don't have a Facebook page, create one and let your so-called friends find you. Watch their on-line bahavior. Try to figure out when they have time to do real work.

And try to look for a Facebook page promoting profitable growth. If you find one, let me know.

Case closed. Roach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment