Monday, October 25, 2010

Trick, treat or profitable growth?

This time of the year is what I call the “orange & black” plague, where even health-conscious individuals crave for glucose/fructose-infused candies colored by Dupont.

As much as I hate Halloween and other folkloric traditions that do not improve bottom line, I do my very best NOT to show my intolerance because people seem to be happy about this festivity and the total cost is very low. I prefer to buy a box of discounted candies and put it on a coffee table in the lobby than giving everyone a raise. If I’m lucky, there will be some candies left and I can re-use them next year therefore implementing a small scale dollar-cost averaging since candies are also subject to price increase.

I also decided this year to greet kids in a different way where they show up at my house. Giving them lollipops and chocolate bars serves no purpose as the average kid cannot eat all the crap they collect on that night. Cheap stuff is discarded too. So I will give them a brochure about CGI with instructions to give it to their dad or mom, as we’re always looking to expand and deepen relationships with new and existing clients. This may startle innocent minds, but even kids know the value of money. I will explain to them that candies are a short term treat that will only bring them dental discomfort, buying GIB shares on the other hand is a smart move.

I’ll explain that witches and zombies tend to short stocks and this bad habit will only lead them further on a path of destruction. Being long on a strong cash-flow positive company that does not pay dividends like, well let’s take a random example, CGI Group (wink, wink) is one sure sign that you are outgrowing childish behaviour and becoming a money-wise pubescent teenager who will one day send us a good resume. You may be a 5-year old Spider-man today, but 20 years from now you will work for me in a cubicle. And you too young lady in a princess costume. All of you.

What do you think about my idea? Should I wear my Darth Vader costume from last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment