Friday, October 1, 2010

Members Column Day: IT and Stock Photos

Dear FakeMike, why is that every IT consulting Web site shows up 3 or 4 sharply dressed professionals looking at a single laptop in a large room full of windows? This is so fake, the reality is that IT consultants work in dimly lit offices. If I raise my head above my current cubicle, I don’t even see a window. I’m not talking about IT women wearing short skirts, this fantasy can only be found in stock photo databases... Roberto from Saguenay

Dear geek boy, I’m sorry to hear you’re surrounded by poorly dressed colleagues in an equally poorly designed office space, but I have to admit every IT company uses this cheap marketing trick to lure young people into our industry.

I mean, if we showed real consultants in a typical office space, we would only be able to attract blind and/or mentally unstable staff and/or people who alter their view of reality by injecting themselves with home-made stuff, therefore limiting our ability to pursue profitable growth.

This is why for one thing we pick stock photos where people stand or sit in an executive lounge on the top floor of a prestige building. Noboby works there in reality, it’s the CEO pleasure room and sometimes new and existing clients are invited there so we can fucking impress them. We also invite a few hack actor/actresses so we can take a picture for a future web site, but it usually lasts less than an hour.

As for IT women and their dress code, you should consider the perverse effect of short tube-shaped garment on your focus at work. Do you really think you can achieve your full potential when your co-worker wardrobe can cause significant distractions and physiological impacts?

When you’re thinking about typical textiles covering the female thighs, you’re not thinking about profitable growth and the current quarter, and you’re definitely not thinking about what you have to do before 5pm.

So you should consider yourself a very lucky man to be surrounded by unattractive colleagues. And since you don’t see what happens outside the building, you can easily lose track of time and indulge yourself in long days. Is it already 11pm? Well I was able to lower my to-do list, it was a great day! I’m sure people at the firm will notice my productivity level!

Do no thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment