Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Our annual tour is about to begin

Our annual tour is about to begin on October 8th, I can't tell how excited I am to visit our business units worldwide, spend time in budget motels (yeah, right) and give a corporate wedgie to those that do not return at least 15% of their revenues to the headquarter.

This is how CGI operates, each unit is a separate P&L and they must return a fair portion of their money to Montreal in order to survive. When they don't, I fly the location to discuss with the BU leader and I do my best to understand why this supposedly good middle manager cannot do his/her job. In some cases, the market has been very bad - shit happens sometimes - so I spare the life of the BU leader but I increase my expectations for the next year by 10%. Bad times do not go on forever, don't they?

The clip above is something I had a mind for the shameful units. We could launch bombers from space and nuke them, or build giant Terminator-like robots (like the one at 1:26) who could toast unprofitable employees at the CGI office.

My board advised against this scenario, as it could impact our share price - which is pretty high these days ($11.90 at closing time yesterday). Not because killing people is bad per se, but nuking a BU could spread harmful substances into the atmosphere and that would make us look bad - we could be dropped from the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Sound advice, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment